02 Dec Underrated Tropical Paradise: Plan a Trip to Belize Now!
WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT BELIZE
1. Short flight: From most places in the U.S., Belize is only about a 5-8 hour flight. This is great for travelers who don’t have a great deal of time.
2. Cheap Airfare: You can score tickets right now for about $300-$500 roundtrip.
3. English is their official language: You won’t have problems speaking to locals because everyone speaks English.
4. You can use U.S. Dollars: U.S. dollars are accepted so you don’t need to convert to Belizean dollars. Also, $1 = $2 Belize dollars so it’s an easy calculation.
5. The food is high quality and cheap: I’m not lying when I say that I ate lobster dinners every single night (sometimes twice in a day). I mean, $10 lobster dinners? yes please! Belizean food is a diverse mix of Mayan, Indian, Creole, and many more.
6. The weather: The weather in Belize is pretty warm all year round. So escape the snow storms and have a summer vacation in Belize!
7. A unique snorkeling experience: Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world. You’ll get to swim with some amazing marine life like sting rays, sea turtles, and sharks!
8. Home of the Great Blue Hole: Don’t know what this is? Google it now.
9. Jaguar Preserve: We didn’t get to do this last time, but apparently Belize is the only place in the world with a Jaguar Preserve.
10. Maya Ruins: Belize has some of the most spectacular mayan temple sites to explore.
DO I NEED A VISA TO VISIT BELIZE?
- Citizens of the European Union Member States (EU)
- Citizens of the Caribbean Community Member States (CARICOM)
- Citizens of the United States of America and dependent territories
- Costa Rica
- South Africa
- Citizens of the Commonwealth Realms & Monarchies
IS IT SAFE?
GETTING TO BELIZE
WHERE TO STAY IN BELIZE
- Less touristy and not as crowded
- Water is bluer
- “Homey” feel
- The island is about 4 miles long, but the town is only about a mile long. So you can get around or walk the entire thing without taking any taxis or anything.
- Most hotels are beachfront, if not a few minutes away from water!
- Smaller island
- Less restaurants
- Bigger island
- Better resorts
- More expensive
- Not as “homey”
- Water is not as blue (dirtier water)
- Bigger island, so walking to places is a bit more difficult
HOW TO GET TO CAYE CAULKER OR AMBERGRIS CAYE
From Belize to San Pedro (vice versa) – approximately 1 hr 30 mins
From Belize to Caye Caulker (vice versa) – approximately 45 mins
From Caye Caulker to San Pedro (vice versa) – approximately 30 mins
SHOULD YOU RENT A CAR? (hint: no)
- Water Taxis
- Golf Carts
- Rental Cars
- Shuttle vans
- Horses (hehe)
- BUG SPRAY: Or buy one on the island.
- Motion sickness pills: for boat rides, snorkeling, flying over the blue hole, etc.
- Other pills to alleviate other sicknesses: allergies, diarrhea, headaches, etc.
- Sunscreen: because you will get burnt!
- A small first aid kit: you never know.
- Cash: debit and credit cards are also accepted, but some places will only accept cash
- A waterproof camera or GoPro: make those memories last
- Beach towels: you need a way to dry up after a good swim
- A backpack: for your daily activities
- Plastic Bags: for your wet clothes
- Hats and sunglasses: protect yourselves
WHAT TO DO IN BELIZE
FREE LIGHTROOM PRESET
The Morocco Preset creates the perfect dreamy blue hues and is great for bringing back overexposed skies. Sign up to get instant access now!